MORE THAN TWO DECADES OF ORIGINAL THINKING
Since opening our doors in 1993, Gerstein Fisher has worked to make academic research-based, institutional-quality investment strategies accessible to individual investors.
We develop proprietary strategies that apply a Multi-Factor®-based approach to both growth equity and real estate investing that we believe serves the best interests of long-term investors.
On an ongoing basis, we collaborate with noted academics in finance, economics, and risk management to continually inform and refine our process with leading-edge research and thinking.
Unlike passive investors, we do not simply accept the return the market gives us, and unlike traditional stock-picking active managers, we do not believe we can consistently beat the market by identifying “mispriced” securities. Rather, Gerstein Fisher’s philosophy is to engineer portfolios with tilts toward characteristics that academic research has shown to have rewarded investors in the form of enhanced returns over the broader market.
- Market returns can be replicated by tracking indices.
- Allows commercial benchmarks to define strategy.
- May accept lower returns and increased trading costs in favor of index tracking.
- Markets reflect expectations of risk.
- Risk and return are related.
- We believe information in prices and fundamentals can identify high-expected-return securities.
- Markets can be outguessed through the identification of mispriced securities.
- Often relies on forecasting techniques to pick securities and/or time markets.
- Potential for higher expenses, trading costs, and excess risk.